Saturday, September 13, 2008

Boomers and Social Media

More and more boomers are moving online and loving it. Check out this story from Podcasting News:

Market Research firm The NPD Group reports that online activities once mainly popular with teens and young adults are now getting active participation by baby boomers, too:

* 61 percent of baby boomer Internet users (age 44 to 61) had visited sites that offer streaming or downloadable video (e.g., YouTube and TV network Web sites
* 41 percent had visited social networks (e.g., Linked-In, Facebook, and MySpace)
* Although young Web users (13- to 34-year-olds) are significantly more likely to visit social networking sites, baby boomers who visited social networking Web sites did so an average of 8 times over the previous three months.
* Baby boomers who engage in activities, like social networking or video streaming, are also more likely to buy DVDs, CDs and go out to the movies.
* Baby boomers who stream video are also 15 percent more likely than their non-streaming counterparts to buy a CD, DVD, or movie tickets.


This matches up with my perceptions. How about you? I spend a lot of time in visiting social networks and using Web 2.0 tools. Too much fun, youwhatImean?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. 50something said...

I definitely know what you mean. I'm a boomer who enjoys reconnecting with people I'd lost track of. I know that many of my friends feel the same. Thanks for the statistics. They reinforce what I thought to be true.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home